This introductory course in Construction Management (CM) is designed to give participants a thorough background in the basics of construction management used on different sites and projects. The CM topics presented will also give insight into the field as a whole, preparing for all aspects that can and will arise. It will broaden their outlook on CM as a career and teach them how many other disciplines, especially project management, can either directly or indirectly affect CM.
Topics covered include:-
- What is CM?
- What employers look for when selecting a Construction Manager
- Understanding your team
- The relationship between Construction Management and Project Management
- The Construction Project Life Cycle
- Skills required for PM
- What is a building drawing?
- How to read a drawing
- The difference between building/working drawing s and schematics
- History of building materials
- Classification of materials
- The future of materials in the construction industry
- What does it mean to be sustainable?
- Energy, Water, Waste
- Safety Management and Hazard Control (safety measures and procedures, accidents and control methods, site survey)
- Health, Safety and Environment (safe systems of work, emergency preparedness and disaster recovery, contractor and subcontractor management, health environment).